Corona FAQs

Below we have listed answers to frequently asked questions. If you have any questions, please contact the appropriate person. The contact details can be found in the info box on the right.

Financial Questions

Here we have listed all financial emergency helps that are available at the moment.

Below you can find FAQ's concerning finances during your studies.

BAföG has a solution if parental income drops unexpectedly! Normally, the parental income from the calendar year before last is taken into account when calculating BAföG. If now, for example because of short-time work due to the COVID-19 pandemic, parents lose part of their income, then this can be taken into account for BAföG recipients!

  • Trainees must submit an update application on which the parents must give details of their current income and also sign it. The update application is available at https://www.bafö (form 7).
  • If by now you have only received a low or no BAföG rate based on the income of your parents, you can make an update application and the amount of your current BAföG claim will be examined.

Please contact the Office for Educational Support (Amt für Ausbildungsförderung) if you have any further questions.

Yes, if the parents are still capable (see above, otherwise BAföG claim if applicable). After all, even if you are doing self-study (reading specialist literature, researching for and writing homeworks or papers etc.) or online study, these also count as study activities. Parents also have to accept exceptional delays and interruptions of the education, as well as the resulting extension of the maintenance payment duration (§ 242 BGB). In case of delays and interruptions of the education, it has to be considered on a case-to-case basis, especially, whether there are creditable reasons for the delay. At this moment, since the upcoming development of the situation is predictable, a delay of the study will not at all be considered as a violation of the regular education duration, provided that the delay bases on the official measures. However, you should use the extended lecture-free period as time for self-study instead of as a holiday.

With all questions concerning the financing of studies outside of BAföG, you can contact the "Financial Aid" of the Studierendenwerk, Tel. 0761/2101-253, tsalkatis(at) Further information is also available at 

Corona emergency aid: The state of Baden-Württemberg and the Studierendenwerk Freiburg support students who have fallen into acute economic distress due to the Corona pandemic, which is not covered by other social benefits or funding opportunities. Students have the following options for financial support:

  • German Federal Emergency Fund for students
    The German Federal Emergency Fund for students will be available again this november. Application is not yet possible. As soon as the Federal Ministry for Education and Research informs uns about the application mode, we will publish it on our website. You can find further information here.
  • Emergency fund from the Studierendenwerk
    The short-term loans from the Studierendenwerk are aimed at students who have run into financial difficulties due to the loss of financial support from their parents as a result of the Corona pandemic. The support is provided on a loan basis and is intended to enable students to continue their studies which they have successfully completed so far.
  • Emergency Student Aid of the University Freiburg
    In cooperation with the Studentenwerk Freiburg, the University of Freiburg supports its students who, through no fault of their own, have fallen into economic distress due to the Corona pandemic with emergency aid for their studies. Attention: The Emergency Student Aid of the University Freiburg is only elligable for students registered at the Albert-Ludwigs-University Freiburg!

  • KfW-student loans - Corona aid
    The Federal Ministry of Education and Research has set up a bridging loan within the framework of the KfW student loans. These can also be applied for by foreign students since 1 June 2020 to 31 March 2021.

Information can be found here:


Although many jobs are disappearing, other industries are urgently looking for workers. Job offers can be found at the job agency of the Studierendenwerk under



No, you can not automatically clam ALB II-Services. Full time students are excluded from SGB II-Services (see § 7 Abs. 5 SGB II). Only a few exceptions exist. For example:

  • Taking a vacation semester because of a pregnancy or raising a child or being on leave because of illness or impairment. The important part is, that there are no student activities during this leave. Otherwise the ALG II-Services are at risk and can be reclaimed. Other than that, there are additional requirements. For getting to know whether you can claim ALG II or not, please give our social guidance a call
  • Being a part time student because of pregnancy or raising a child or being on leave because of illness or impairment. Here, there are additional requirements as well and things to look out for. Please get guidance from our social guidance team. 
  • in hardship, for example in undeserved losing of funding and far advanced studies, the job center can check if services as loan after § 27 Abs. 3 SGB II are applicable.
  • claim for additional requirements at specific beneficiaries after § 21 SGB II

No. Students health-, care- and unemployment-insurance free. Therefore, who does not pay for the unemployment-insurance can not get short-time work allowance.

The only exceptions to this rule are currently:

  • Part-time students, i.e. students who have previously worked more than 20 hours per week subject to social insurance contributions. This group of people can receive short-time work allowance or unemployment benefit.
  • Students who cannot receive BAföG and have now lost their income can apply for unemployment benefit at the Job Centre.  As a rule, you must apply for a semester of leave of absence for this purpose. This is not the case now. However, you will probably have to pay back the money you receive from the job centre later. Please note: You cannot get money from the Jobcenter if you are in Germany on a student visa.

Questions about my living situation
Further questions and contact information can be found here.

Normally students are not entitled to housing benefit. In certain exceptional cases, however, it is possible that housing benefit will be paid.
If you have any questions regarding housing assistance, please contact our social workers at the Studierendenwerk, Tel. 0761/2101233,

Further information is available at


Due to the closure of our facilities, card reloaders are no longer accessible. The washing machine terminals in our dormitories can only recharge the card if you have registered for Autoload.

With the Autoload payment system, you can load an amount of your choice from your current account directly onto your Unicard. Info: You can currently register for Autoload at the information shop of the Studierendenwerk, Basler Straße 2, Mon-Fri 9 - 17 hrs and in the Studentensiedlung in the Service Centre, Sundgauallee 20 (daily 8.30 - 9.30 am. and Monday-Thursday 13.30 - 14.30 pm.).

If you still want to register, you can do so in Freiburg at the information shop in Basler Straße (9 a.m. - 5 p.m.) and in the Service Center in the Student Housing Estate, Sundgauallee 20 (daily 8.30 - 9.30 a.m. and Monday-Thursday 1.30 p.m. to 2.30 p.m.).

For all students who do not yet have a university card, the Studentensiedlung am Seepark now offers a guest MensaCard as a temporary solution. With this card the washing machines and dryers can be operated. The card costs 20.00 €. There is a credit balance of 13.00 € on the card, plus a deposit of 7.00 €.

After the students have received their university cards, they can return the guest card to the service points in the refectories. The remaining credit balance and the deposit will then be loaded onto the university card.

Yes. The handing over of keys for new residents will also take place as usual. See for details.  

You will find the office hours of the staff on the documents you receive with the rental agreement or on our website.



Questions about studying with children during the Corona pandemic.
Further questions and answers on this topic can be found here.

Questions about the current situation in Freiburg

The current epidemic situation alone is not a reason for leave, as it affects all students.
If you have any further questions about the requirements for receiving benefits in accordance with SGB II during the leave semester, the Social Counselling Service is at your disposal by telephone. In this case, for example, you are not allowed to perform any academic work during the semester of leave of absence.

Attention: Whoever takes a leave of absence is not entitled to receive BAföG.

The Infoladen of SWFR is still open Monday to Friday from 9.00 am to 5.00 pm.

However, due to the current situation we ask you to visit the Infoladen only in urgent cases. All of our employees are still available for you as usual by phone or e-mail (see contact info box).

With the amendments to the Corona Ordinance, which came into force on November 2, and the corresponding adaptation of the state's Corona Ordinance, the state government is reacting to the current, worrying development of the infection situation in Baden-Württemberg. The measures have been tightened due to the increasing numbers. For the time being, therefore, they apply to November:

  • Personal contacts must be reduced to a minimum;
  • Meetings or celebrations in private as well as public spaces are allowed with a maximum of 2 households;
  • The wearing of mouth-nose-covering is obligatory in public spaces, on public transport and in Freiburg in the entire city center;
  • Cultural, recreational and sports events that serve entertainment purposes are not permitted; cultural and recreational facilities for the public are closed. Public and private sports facilities are also closed to the public;
  • We strongly advise against private travel and visits to relatives.

All detailed information can be found here.


A very good overview of the regulations can be found on the website of the state of Baden-Württemberg:

At the very bottom of the page there is even summary information in English, French, Turkish, Russian, Arabic, Polish and Italian.

The Robert Koch Institute offers information in German and English:

Information on infection prevention can be found on the website from the Federal Centre for Health Education. Information on infection protection in other languages can be found here:


For this purpose, there is the Foreigners' Office of the city of Freiburg. It is open from Monday to Friday, but due to the current situation an appointment must be made beforehand.

For appointment requests, please send an e-mail to or use the online appointment service. You can find them here.

You can reach the office by e-mail to or call 0761 201 6470.

Opening hours of the Foreigners Authority:

Monday7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Tuesday7:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.

Wednesday7:30 a.m. -  5.30 p.m.

Thursday7:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.

Friday7:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.

Health Questions

Please call your family doctor if you have flu symptoms. Under no circumstances should you go directly to your family doctor! Under no circumstances should you go directly to the test station!

If you do not yet have a general practitioner in Freiburg, please simply choose a general practitioner. In Freiburg, the general practitioners will decide whether or not you get a test after talking to you on the phone. English and French speaking doctors can be found in the practice Kraaz/Szczeponik in Rempartstraße 11. Dr. Kraaz and Dr. Szczeponik also provide health counselling for international students on behalf of the Studierendenwerk.

In Germany, the family doctor is always the first point of contact when you are ill. You never go directly to hospital when you are ill, except in case of an emergency. Even if you suspect the corona virus, you should first call your family doctor in Freiburg.

In this case you should first of all call your family doctor. They will clarify the further procedure with you.