Students are generally required to have health insurance. Students and applicants who are covered by private health insurance and wish to be exempted from student health insurance must submit a confirmation of their private health insurance to a statutory health insurance company and apply for "exemption from compulsory student insurance". Attention: This exemption is valid for the entire period of study. The exemption notice must be presented with the documents for enrolment.

During your studies, there are different ways to be covered by health insurance: either by family insurance, by special student health insurance or by voluntary health insurance for students.

Students are not required to take out health and nursing insurance if they have family insurance. Normally, students can take out family insurance up to the age of 25 (usually up to the age of 27 in the case of privately insured persons), i.e. they do not have to pay their own insurance amounts. If the training is interrupted or delayed by military or civilian service, there is the possibility of family insurance for a period corresponding to the service beyond 25 years of age. A prerequisite for family insurance is also that your monthly income does not exceed 450 euros if you are not self-employed. Your income from self-employment, rent and interest must not exceed 425 euros. 

Students who are no longer covered by family insurance must take out student health and nursing care insurance. This exists until the end of the 14th semester, at the latest until the end of the semester in which the student reaches the age of 30. Beyond this point in time, the insurance obligation continues to apply if the type of training, family reasons or personal reasons (e.g. second chance education) justify exceeding the age limit or a longer period of study. The statutory and private health insurance funds offer a special student rate:
Since 01.01.2015, the monthly contributions for students under 23 to the statutory health and long-term care insurance amount to 89.32 €. Students who are over 23 years old and have no child have to pay 90.99 €. Some health insurance companies also charge a surcharge. This should be clarified before you decide to become a member of a health insurance company.

Detailed information can be found, for example, on the homepage of the AOK.

All students must be insured against illness in Germany.  We recommend that you register with a statutory health insurance company.  They grant a favourable student rate up to the completion of the 14th semester - but at the most up to the age of 30.  If you meet these requirements, the statutory health insurance company is obliged to insure you at the student price.  Except for a small amount, this health insurance covers the costs for medical treatment and prescription drugs.  Attention: Costs for dental prostheses are usually not completely covered by the health insurance!  The student fee for statutory health and nursing insurance is currently 89.37€ per month (as of winter semester 2017/18).  Students without children over 23 years have to pay 90,99 € per month.  This amount also includes the contribution to the nursing care insurance, which has been introduced in Germany in recent years.  You must pay the insurance premium before you matriculate at your university. 

Students from EU countries who have a "European Health Insurance Card" (EHIC) must present their card to a statutory health insurance company (AOK, Techniker Krankenkasse, etc.).  You will then receive a certificate stating that you are exempt from compulsory insurance. 
If you have already reached the age of 30 before your date of entry, we strongly advise you to take out private health insurance, as the costs for medical treatment and hospital services are very high and in Germany insurance has been compulsory since 2013.  A one-day stay in hospital costs on average over 200.00 €.  If you have any questions about health insurance, the social counselling service of the Studierendenwerk can certainly help.

You have three options:

1. taking out a health insurance policy with a German statutory health insurance fund: The following documents are required to take out a health insurance policy with a German insurer:
- Passport 
- notification of admission 
- bank account documents

Students who are insured in their home country and who can present the "European Health Insurance Card" or Form E128 to their health insurance company are not obliged to take out insurance: 
Students from the EU states, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Iceland, Israel, Croatia, Liechtenstein, Morocco, Macedonia, Norway, Switzerland, Serbia, Montenegro, Turkey and Tunisia who have a "European Health Insurance Card" (EHIC) or the document E 128 etc. from the health insurance of their home country are not subject to compulsory insurance in Germany. 
The following documents must be submitted to a statutory health insurance fund 
- identity card/passport 
- notification of admission 
- EHIC or insurance document E 128, etc. 

The health insurance company will then issue a certificate stating that there is no compulsory insurance.  This certificate must be presented at the time of registration. 

3. exemption from compulsory health insurance if you take out sufficient health insurance in your home country: 
Those who have taken out sufficient health insurance in their home country for a study stay in Germany can be exempted from the insurance obligation. 
Attention: A travel health insurance is not sufficient! 
The following documents must be presented to a statutory health insurance:
- proof of insurance from your home country (in German translation) 
- passport 
- notification of admission