The Studierendenwerk fee, which students pay to the Studierendenwerk, also includes a number of insurances for damages incurred in connection with their studies - on excursions, during internships or in normal university life, for example if the bicycle changes hands outside during the lecture. And a leisure accident insurance mitigates the consequences, if it's a leg fracture.
All students enrolled at a university under Student Services Freiburg’s jurisdiction have a liability insurance. It applies to activities that take place within university grounds and which are directly related to a students studies or occour in authorised extracurricular activates. The insurance also applies to students participating in work experience or internships that are required for their study programme.
- Coverage is up to €7500 per occurrence
- It covers items such as laboratory equipment
- It does not apply to damages amounting to less than €25.
Please note that this is only a subsidiary insurance. The student’s or parent’s liability insurance remains the main coverage if damage amounts to more that €100.
New: If an individual's private liability insurance will not cover the damage, one can make a claim at Student Services, and present the claim denial issued for the private institution.
Enrolled students under the jurisdiction of Student Services Freiburg wanting to do an internship or semester abroad can apply for an insurance certificate. Many companies or universities require such a certificate. For more information see below.
Although many accidents are covered under the main insurance, Student Services Freiburg has organised additional private accident insurance for all students under their jurisdiction. The insurance includes activities outside of university, at home and abroad.
The protection also covers holiday trips, internships and graduate work at foreign universities and research institutions.
Enrolled students under the jurisdiction of Student Services Freiburg that want to do an internship or semester abroad, can apply for an insurance certificate. Many companies or universities require this certificate. For more information see below.
Bicycle or laptop been stolen? What now?
Theft cover or damage cover is provided within University grounds. E.g. your bicycle. The insurance covers general items such as:
- clothing, helmets, books, glasses,
- stationary and laptops that might be stolen during a lecture.
The protection is only valid when items are placed in safe places such as your locker. Items that are left on campus are not covered. Items are covered up to €250. Bicycle insurance protects your bike from theft and damage on campus during opening hours. Bicycles must be properly locked. For students living in dormitories there is bicycle insurance. It covers bikes locked up and in the designated area. This insurance covers bikes up to €500.
Please note: In cases when a designated area is available for storage, students must keep bicycles there.
What you should do if your bicycle is stolen!
The Student should go immediately to the local police station and fill in a police report. Make sure you get a proof of theft document.
1. Students should go to the found bicycle storage five weeks later to see if it has been found. Bring the proof of theft document with you. In cases where your bicycle has not been found you must get a certificate of insurance (at a cost of €8)
For Address and Opening Hours klick here.
2. Fill out a damage report Damage report (PDF, right side, Downloads) and give it to the Student Services along with the proof of theft document, certificate of insurance, university registration and if you have it the bike receipt.
Household insurance is provided for all residents of Student Services’ dormitories. Damage caused by burglary, fire and water is covered. Student’s items are covered up to € 2854. Items are only insured in the living quarters of the residence.
Glass breakage and "natural hazards" (floods, floods, landslides or subsidence) are not insured.
Note: A burglary occurs when a forced entry has been made into a locked apartment or room. Theft from an unlocked apartment or a room is not insured.
If you have questions concerning our household insurance, please contact Mrs. Wedler, details see right.
Enrolled students under the jurisdiction of Student Services Freiburg that want to do an internship or semester abroad can apply for an insurance certificate. Many companies or universities require this certificate.
Simply send the following data, together with a current certificate of study, by e-mail to versicherung(at)swfr.de:
1. Surname and first name
2. Date of birth
3. Home address (address in Germany)
4. Location of the internship, work experience or study abroad
5. Exact name of the institution
6. Exact duration of the internship, work experience or study abroad (Start – Finish)
7. Declaration of your agreement that we process your data to the insurance company.
No cover is provided for internships done through students’ own initiative.
For internships in the United States or Canada you will need a personal liability insurance because the student liability insurance is not accepted.
Students are covered under the Social Act ‘SGB VII’. This accident coverage only applies to students who are registered at an accredited University or other tertiary educational facility. This is provided by the state.
Insurance cover is provided:
- during lectures and seminars
- revision courses and field trips
- public libraries
- in different sports at the University
- activities of the student body and other university related activities
Accidents that occur on campus or on the direct route between home and university or during university sports must be reported to the University Secretary.