FAQs Student Jobs

Here we have put together the most important questions about studio jobs for you.

You can register at the following link: www.swfr.de/serviceportal

After you have registered and your account has been activated, you can request job offers.

Notes for the activation

You must have your account activated again each semester by sending us the following documents by e-mail:

If you belong to an EU/EEA country:

  • valid matriculation certificate
  • identity card or passport

If you belong to a non-EU / non-EEA country:

  • valid matriculation certificate
  • identity card or passport
  • eAT card with additional sheet

We have everything from short-term to long-term jobs requiring experience or no experience. We receive different jobs daily including retail, office and warehouse work.

The Studierendenwerk offers a job intermediation service to employers and students free of charge.

New from 01.01.2019
Students from EU member states who would like to work in Germany must take out health insurance before starting work in Germany. Existing health insurance in your home country does not apply to German employment contracts.

Important information for students who are nationals of a member state of the EU, the European Economic Area or Switzerland: 
If you wish to take up employment in Germany, you must inform your previous foreign social insurance institution (Krankenkasse) in advance. There you will find out how employment or a mini-job affects your social security.

You will need an eAT card or a passport with a valid residence permit and work permit for a period of 120 full days or 240 half days. You must provide the employer with proof of whether and how you used the 120 full days or 240 half days.

You must be able to provide proof that you have completed either the allowed 180 full-days or 240 half-days.

Please note: A half-day of work is considered to last no more than four hours if regular employees work eight hours for a full-day. A half-day is considered to last five hours if regular employees work ten hours for a full-day. Part-time work positions that do not have time-restrictions are those at a university or closely affiliated with a university (i.e. Studierendenwerk). Positions that go beyond that need approval from the worker’s administration office (Arbeitsbehörde).


You can find more information about the electronic application for the electronic residence permit card (eAT-Karte) here:

Service A-Z - www.freiburg.de - Rathaus und Service/Service/Service A-Z - Aufenthaltserlaubnis für Studierende aus Staaten außerhalb EU/EWR beantragen

You may work a maximum of 20 hours per week. Weekend hours and night shifts do not count towards the 20 hours.

You can find further information on the homepage of the AOK.

Once you earn up 450 Euros per month, the fees for annuity insurance (Rentenversicherung) up to 3.7% are due. The amount due from the employer is 15%. You do not need to contribute to the annuity insurance if your monthly income does not exceed 450 Euros.

A short-term job may last for up to 3 months or 70 days in a year. The job is not regular or over a long period. Marginally employed, you are allowed to earn up to €450 per month. There are no other restrictions. You can have a short-term job and be marginally employed at the same time.

In order to receive money from BAföG you cannot earn more than 5,400.00 Euros during the appropriation period (12 months), you cannot be married, and you cannot have children.

“Child benefits“, which your parents draw from, is cancelled when you have completed a vocational training program, when you earn more than 450 Euros per month and work more than 20 hours per week.

Proof of social insurance (Sozialversicherungsnachweis), name of your health insurance (Krankenkasse), bank account information (Bankverbindung), certificate for the pay-as-you-earn tax option (Bescheinigung über den Lohnsteuerabzug und/oder Steueridentifikationsnummer), Student ID, (for foreign students from non-EU/EEA countries) the electronic residence permit card (eAT-Karte) and supplement along with the valid residence permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis) and work permit (Arbeitsgenehmigung bzw. Arbeitserlaubnis)

You can obtain the certificate for the pay-as-you-earn tax option (Lohnsteuerabzug) at the corresponding financial office (Finanzamt). As of 2011 you can no longer obtain a paper copy of the wage tax card (Lohnsteuerkarte).

You can obtain a trade certificate (Gewerbeschein) at the Citizens Advice Office (Bürgerbüro) which is located at Fehrenbachallee 12, 79106 Freiburg.

You can obtain a certificate of health (Gesundheitszeugnis) at the Staatlichen Gesundheitsamt Freiburg, which is located at Sautierstraße 28, 79104 Freiburg.

Please ask for their office hours via  0761/21870


You should keep in mind that you need to acquire accident/casualty insurance. Your health insurance provider will not cover accidents that occur at work. Earnings from a self-employed position must also be quoted to the financial office (notice of income tax assessment or Einkommensteuerbescheid).


If you work during your semester off, then you must pay the fees for social insurance.


After your account has been activiated you can select the contact information from a maximum of three employers per day. We then expect a response regarding whether your application is still in process. Only then can you request more employers’ contact information. This keeps our database up to date and also avoid a situation in which you and other job-seekers apply for positions that have already been filled.


However the inflow of requests can be quite large at times, so it is possible that you will have to wait some time for a response.

Employers can post job openings around the clock. There are no exact times.