Licence fee exemption

Students can apply for a TV and Radio licensing fee exemption if they


  • receive BAföG and do not live with their parents
  • receive social assistance from SGB XII CAP.3
  • receive unemployment benefit II or welfare from SGB II
  • are disabled, visually or hearing impaired and possess proof of disability. (It must have an official RF stamp proving the extent of disability)
  • receiving care as per SGB XII CAP 7
  • care allowance as of § 267


There is an online registration form on the homepage of the Rundfunkbeitrag (see on the right), which can be downloaded. The form must be signed and notarised with copies of the required documents and mailed to the ARD ZDF Deutschlandradio Rundfunkbeitragsservice, 50656 Köln.


For students that receive BAfög there is a special intent site to make this process easier (see link on the right). In just a few steps students can download the exemption registration. Due to legal reasons, the form has to be notarised and sent via post as an original signature is needed.


The Student Services’ social counsellor will notarised signatures for free during opening hours. Students are asked to bring original BAföG certificates and a duplicate and when possible a completed exemption registration form.