Radio & TV contribution exemption
Students can apply for exemption from the radio contribution if they (or the head of the household)
- receive BAföG benefits and do not live with their parents
- get help to make a living according to SGB XII, chapter 3
- receive unemployment benefit II or social benefit according to SGB II
- receive basic security with reduction in earning capacity after SGB XII, chapter 4
- are deafblind or recipients of assistance for the blind according to § 72 SGB XII
- get care benefits according to SGB XII, Chapter 7
- receive care allowances in accordance with § 267 Para. 1 of the Lastenausgleichsgesetz (German law on the equalisation of burdens)
- receive benefits under the Asylum Seekers Benefits Act
- as a hardship case, if you do not receive any of the above benefits because your income is slightly above the limit (less than € 17.50)
- disabled persons with the "RF" mark can apply for a reduction
An application can only be made with the required proof. A retroactive exemption/reduction is possible for a maximum of three years from the date of application.
On the homepage of ARD ZDF Deutschlandradio Beitragsservice - the link can be found on the right - you will find an application form which can be filled in online and printed out.
It must be signed and sent by post to the contribution service of ARD, ZDF and Deutschlandradio, 50656 Köln, together with a simple copy of the evidence to be submitted.